Sunday, February 28, 2010

posts for 2/28

Miller:

I will encourage my students to use the internet for research, what a time saver! I'm so ready for multi-media use to get up and going. I've been watching all these things that Dr. Strange posts on the blog and I'm so jealous of you Mac users! I wish I had one, I definitely will go with Mac next time I purchase a computer. It just seems to be so much more convenient.

Everything that Miller showed on his presentation was so inviting and new age, i really enjoyed what he had to say.

Drexler:

Connectivism. What a concept! Loved the presentation, never thought something so simple could explain something so compex as a PLN to me! haha well it's complex to me... stop laughing Dr. Strange.

I don't think this idea would be too great for middle or high schoolers, I think maybe if we eased them into it, I guess I'm still just a bit skeptical. I think college students could take advantage of it and would do well with the responsibility, but there's no one to hold the immature middle and high schoolers responsible if their parents aren't at home.

The video mentioned quite a few things that I've just recently learned of in our EDM310 class. I couldn't get over that I knew what he was talking about, Yay! Again.. stop laughing Dr. Strange. I'm just happy I'm becoming technologically literate.

Wesch:

This guy talks about us as a nation moving towards disengagement and fragmentation, which I somewhat agree with, but not whole-heartedly. I was a little weirded out by him though, he jumps around a lot and was hard to follow. I found myself listening more to the squeaking background noise than his monotone voice... oops. I think maybe if I had read it online instead of watching and listening I could have grasped it better.

Comments4kids:

I had a young guy named Alec who asked other bloggers their thoughts about "probowl"vs superbowl. Apparently people who play in the probowl ( which occurs before the superbowl) run the risk of injuring themselves, because they may be playing in the superbowl... I'm not into football. Sooo, my thoughts are: If you are playing in the superbowl... don't play in the "pro-bowl" boys.

Comments4teachers:

I commented on Stephen Anderson's blog. This week he talked about kids asking questions and how annoying it is when they say they are never going to use what they learn. True. Here's the solution: Show them how they will use it! He states this in his blog--- I enjoyed reading it and I certainly remember thinking how boring some things were when I was in elementary , middle and high school... I wish my teachers would have been more motivated. Bummer.

Ewww, I would never want any one of my students to say that about me--- so here's to motivating anyone who's reading my blog about answering questions!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you and making my students use the internet for research project and papers as along as they use a creditable site. I am a MAC user, and love using it. It is very user friendly, if you can't figure something out Apple has put together short videos on all their products or you can always call them and talk to a real person not a recording. I put the podcast project together on Garage Band, it was real simple and easy to use. You can listen to it on itunes search: Can Podcast be Useful in the Classroom , or go to http://mathisgorski.blogspot.com to see the process of our project.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can laugh with joy, can't I? Please!

    Have you given up on teaching high school students to accept responsibility for their own learning? So early? But then I sometimes struggle with college students!

    Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete