Sunday, February 21, 2010

Posts for 2/21

Alice Christie:

I really enjoyed Alice's photo section if her website. I am into photography and have a new found love for Picasa. Anyone know if photo-shop works as well or better than Picasa or is equivalent??? I like to edit pictures and play around with them. Exercising this can help you become technologically literate while you are having fun.

I am in a music class this semester. Our teacher made a comment that children like to have pages turned when you are reading a story to them... I had a thought. How about incorporating technology into this? Wouldn't it be exciting to them to have a book read to them and actually be able to SEE the pictures? HUGE pictures on a projector or a smart board, instead of trying to see a small book in the front of the classroom from your seat?

Another idea would be to let the class take photos with a digital camera, and allow them to do creative writing on them. Make up a story or poem and share with the class. They could even make a digital book (power point) with their photos to share with the class. What fun!

itunes U:

I am on board for anything to do with itunes u. I like it. This program could help middle, high school, and college students tremendously. It would be something to review if they were absent one day, also it would be great for review so you can catch anything you missed.

I checked a couple school that use itunes u. Stanford's web page for it is very impressive. It looks very polished, they offer courses, lectures, and some text. Check it out
Link to website

I would love it if South offered this much on itunes u. The only person who seems to be on board with it is Dr. Strange. What's the hold up? They should check out this site and step into the 21st century.

Duke University's use of Ipods

Okay, so Duke distributed over 1600 Apple Ipod devices to entering students in 2004, to encourage creative uses of technology. OMG! Why doesn't our school do this? Are we really this afraid of change? People could walk around campus, ride in their cars and study without being a hazard to others. I see people walking around looking at notes all the time! They run into people and the potential for accidents is not good! Cars... hello!?? Also there is no way you could study notes and drive! I mean this is so obvious! ugh...

Look at this report to see how it turned out
Link to Duke


The students used the ipods for course content, classroom recording, field recording, and as a study report tool. OOOOOOOO now I'm depressed.

Because I'm jealous :) haha



Who is a technologically literate teacher?

I like this WIKI because everyone has different ideas and you get to see them all. At some point someone is going to state something you hadn't thought of. I love it when that happens. You guys should definitely join this wiki.

2 comments:

  1. Brooksy,

    I loved your idea about incorporating technology into story time. I think the children would love being able to see the pictures enlarged. I also thought your idea about taking pictures and writing a story based on this. I know so many children that love using a digital camera, and by writing a story based on it, it allows the students to show their creativity and something about themselves. Great ideas! You will be a fun teacher!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! Photoshop is by far and away the best photo/drawing/design program there is. But it is $$ and has a very long learning curve.

    Your ideas for using video and reading and pictures with kids is great. Last semester we had success with making a video reading a book for a kid. That drew a response from the kid. You will see it in a blog assignment soon!

    Go Blue Devils. I was an undergrad at Duke!

    ReplyDelete