Sunday, March 28, 2010

3/8-3/22

Well class... I procrastinated with this one. it is my nature :)

First of All
Comments4Teachers

I read Steven Anderson's blog for the last 3 weeks, he hasn't posted anything in a while. I went back and looked at some of the older posts on his page though. there is one entitled "Boolify Project". It's actually really neat. It's a search engine for teachers. You drag a puzzle piece to the center of the screen and type in what subject matter you're looking up, then it pulls up all the links for it. He has several other resources on his blog . Check it out!

ALEX:
I found ALEX very user friendly, and easy to navigate from one thing to another. It easily guides you to what you need to do. It has link for lesson plans and even details it down to subject and grade. Wow, this is so great. I will definitely be using this in my future teaching.

You create your own account and this allows you to set up your lesson plans for other teachers to view and critique. This site is also valuable because it allows you to keep up with continuing education opportunities. It's a great site where teachers can learn, find information, and help one another.

A.C.C.E.S.S

Whoo!Hoo! (sorry for me excessive use of exclamation points but I couldn't help myself on this post... I know we discussed this in class Dr. Strange hahaha)
A program that allows high school students to access online courses.. where have you been??? Who is this genius- I want to shake his hand! haha

What a way to get ahead, I would have loved to have had this in my high school. I could have graduated early, started college early, various other things... Oh the possibilities.

I'm so glad the ball is finally rolling. I'm sure there are a few kinks to work out, but I'm just happy we're on the way. Yay! ( ok one more) !










3/22/2010-3/28/2010
Post #10

College experience for me has been a mix of things... procrastination, partying ( 6 years ago that is), not studying, studying really hard, and enjoyment. My first two years I managed to make OK grades (B's and C's), but the last year since I've started back, I have managed to make all A's and two B's in the last 4 semesters.

I often find myself in classes though being bored because I don't know why I am listening to someone talk about something I will not use in my classroom... Such as a PE course. Ugh, hate those. I've had a few teachers who have rally inspired me and that I felt wanted me to learn why i was in their classroom and how I was going to need what they were teaching.

Comments4kids
I could not access the web page for comments4kids this week, will get back to this when I hear from Strange.

2 comments:

  1. Brooksy,
    I enjoyed reading your account of college life then versus now. This time in school (20 years later) my grades are a lot better too. I always chalk it up to maturity and not a lot of free time. It's amazing how far a little discipline takes you!

    When I'm in a situation as you described where I'm in a class that has nothing to do with teaching, or it is BORING, I try to find what I can get out of the moment. And I will walk away with something. BUT it makes no sense to me that I have to LOOK for that something to come away with. It puzzles me that at the college level, where we are paying a lot of money, and we have the choice to go somewhere else, that teachers can still teach without students learning. I don't understand how the earn those teaching slots and then keep them! Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add a link to Steven Anderson's blog. Are you waiting on me for something about comments4kids? If so, send me another email. I didn't procrastinate - just forgot if I didn't answer.

    ReplyDelete