Saturday, January 23, 2010

POSTS FOR JANUARY 24, 2010

GARY HAYES-SOCIAL MEDIA COUNTS

These counts go up extremely fast! Faster than I could have ever imagined! You would never realize how much people are using the social media unless you saw this. My uncle is very Internet savvy and into blogs, face book, twitter, etc. I'm going to email him the link-- I think he would enjoy. These counts could prove that we may not need to be in classrooms for everything sooner than later. EVERTHING could be potentially web cast to the students in the class. I realize there are state laws about attendance- but our education and knowledge of the Internet is obviously growing at an alarming rate-- woo hoo! So, i would like to think that the state would conform.
You could be anywhere in the world and attend your class! Even on vacation-- teachers could pre-record their lectures and then have a dedicated time for questions and answers if students need help. What an amazing concept-- ahhh i can't wait for all of this to arrive.


MICHAEL WESCH- A VISION OF STUDENTS TODAY

My experiences are similar to the students' in this video. Aside from my class sizes and I'm pretty confident almost all my teachers know my name. I do on the other hand grow bored in class reading power points that a teacher has prepared online and just reads to the class- i would get so much more if she emailed these to us or made them available online with links to different websites or pod casts to show examples instead of stories from 20 years ago.

Also these could be followed online. I would love to be able to do most of my schoolwork online-- lots of money is spent on textbooks- that we probably could find the same information about online! Oh so depressing.

I have a 5 year old who is in school- so my school schedule is around hers. I would love to be able to take my laptop and do class assignments and watch lectures in my car while waiting for an hour in line to pick her up.

I call myself a multi-tasker, but i can think of so many other things i could add to it, if i had the technological capability. If Annabell is sick from school and I don't have a babysitter, I would like to know that I could log onto my class and it be the same as me being there in the flesh-- and i wouldn't miss out on anything.

We are very fortunate to have expensive computers and laptops... we should be utilizing them more to enrich our lives with foreign studies, lectures from credible sources, and for convenience.... instead of "face booking through class".


IT'S NOT ABOUT THE TECHNOLOGY- KELLY HINES

Teachers should totally be self-motivated. If you're not an independent-minded, get things done-type, who wants to offer the best to the people around them... well then maybe this career path isn't for you.

Learning should be done in a variety of ways and technology offers millions!!! Like they say.. everyone learns differently. I know that's true for me. I even learn different subjects different ways. If you achieve "learning" in your classroom you are being productive! Oh my, what words... I LOVE that comment.

The misuse of technology in schools is discouraging, but yet encouraging in the same way. It makes me want to squeeze every drop of opportunity out of the technology that's offered to our students! This opens children up to new ways of learning, new experiences, and new strategies for teachers.

It's definitely NOT about the technology, it's about us! Each teacher embracing the ideas of the 21st century and all it has to offer. We should always keep the concept of "learning" at the front of our mind. We are educating the future governments, the future Presidents, and the future educators of OUR own children's children--- we are educating and preparing them for the future- for our future. Isn't that worth something to you?



FISCH:IS IT OKAY TO BE A TECHNOLOGICALLY ILLITERATE TEACHER

I absolutely love this guy. He's very forward and outspoken--- i don't think he should ever edit out anything he has to say. I enjoyed every word of it and found it to be motivating. I liked the list that the other guy wrote as well... I totally agree. We are not only depriving ourselves but our students of what technology has to offer.

6 comments:

  1. I completely agree with what you said in your post about the Michale Welsh clip. For us "alternative" students that have jobs, families, spouses etc. our workload (LIFE) is at times a bit heavy and takes some creativity to manage! Therefore, it is important to be able to attend class in as many different ways that are possible thus being able to utilize this technology to the best of our ability! I wonder how long it'll take for our classes to evolve to this point... Maybe when we reach grad school it'll become a reality! Keep up the good bloggin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in luck, Dr. Strange's class will require you to spend time working on the net. (You may need to watch what you ask for, you will understand what I mean soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really good post and I completely agree with what you were saying. I also think that we as teachers are responsible for our future if we lose sight of that then we have failed as educators. Good Post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who is "the other guy"? Help us out! (last paragraph

    "I do on the other hand grow bored in class reading power points that a teacher has prepared online and just reads to the class" You and a lot of others! Don't do it when you teach!

    "if she emailed these to us or made them available online with links to different websites or pod casts to show examples instead of stories from 20 years ago" But that's work!

    Let me know your uncle's reaction to the counter.

    Anywhere in the world and take my classes. I'm working on it! A little different: anybody in the world can take my class. But same idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have to totally agree with you. Teachers should be life long learners in order to successfully teach his/her students. You should engage your students in their learning using technology, not just the traditional worksheet. If students/children have the opportunity to do something new and show off their work to the world they will be more apt to try harder and do a good job! A teacher should keep up with technology and know what is available to him/her and their students. Technology is a powerful tool so why not use it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading your blog. I was told that your first paragraph should catch your reader's attention. Your first paragraph in "Its not all about technology" did just that. I agree with that 100%.

    ReplyDelete